A new broadcast franchise bill for ABS-CBN has been filed in the House of Representatives.

House Bill No. 431 or “AN ACT GRANTING THE ABS-CBN CORPORATION A FRANCHISE TO CONSTRUCT, INSTALL, OPERATE AND MAINTAIN TELEVISION AND RADIO BROADCASTING STATIONS IN THE PHILIPPINES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES” was filed by Surigao del Norte 2nd District Rep. Johnny Pimentel on June 30, 2022, which was then referred and read on its first reading at the Committee on Legislative Franchises on July 26, 2022.
The new franchise bill seeks to allow the Kapamilya network to operate again, emphasizing its news and public affairs division which plays a crucial role in disseminating relevant information.
“The news and public affairs program of ABS-CBN serve as the only avenue for crucial and relevant information for a great number of our countrymen. It is the source of information in the most far-flung areas of our country, keeping its far-reaches up-to-date with the relevant happenings,” said Pimentel in the bill’s explanatory note.
This is not the only ABS-CBN franchise bill that has been filed in Congress.
The progressive group Makabayan bloc has also filed House Bill 1218 or “AN ACT RENEWING THE FRANCHISE GRANTED TO ABS-CBN CORPORATION (FORMERLY ABS-CBN BROADCASTING CORPORATION) UNDER REPUBLIC ACT NO. 7966 OR “AN ACT GRANTING ABS-CBN BROADCASTING CORPORATION A FRANCHISE TO CONSTRUCT; INSTALL, ESTABLISH, OPERATE, AND MAINTAIN BROADCASTING STATIONS IN THE PHILIPPINES, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES” FOR TWENTY-FIVE (25) YEARS FROM THE EFFECTIVITY OF THIS ACT” on July 5, 2022, and was referred as read on its first reading at the Legislative Franchises Committee on August 1, 2022.
ABS-CBN has been off the air since May 2020 following the cease and desist order by the National Telecommunications Commission. It’s a franchise renewal application that the 70-Cayetano-led and Duterte-allied members of Congress killed at the House Committee on Legislative Franchises in July 2020.
Since then, the network has operated via its digital platforms on Youtube and Facebook and blocked time agreements with A2Z Channel 11 and TV5.
They are also in content distribution via several online platforms like iWantTFC, iQiyi, Viu, and Netflix.
With its strong digital presence, ABS-CBN recently said that they are on its way to profitability again; thus they no longer seriously considering getting its broadcast franchise back at the moment.
“The filing of a franchise bill is initiated by a member of the Congress, not by ABS-CBN, [but] we understand at present there has been a franchise bill filed. However, at this time, we have yet to decide whether a new franchise is aligned with our strategic plans,” said ABS-CBN CEO and President Carlo Katigbak during their annual stockholders’ meeting.
ABS-CBN Star Magic Head Laurenti Dyogi said the same, saying they’re currently not pinning hopes on a new franchise since they are doing well in content distribution and block time deals.
“We survived two years without the franchise and without the frequency. We will continue with what we are doing, the best what we could do to serve the public.”
“Ayoko nang umasa, nanggaling na kami dun, okay na kami. We will continue to be a content company. We will produce stars and produce a lot of contents.” Dyogi added.

