This year’s Olympics athletic contingent is said to be the leanest team the country has ever fielded since the 1996 Games in Atlanta. Regardless of this fact, this year’s Philippine athletic contingent will surely make the rest of the country proud as they compete for God, country and glory in nine out of the 26 sporting events in this year’s Games.
Philippine audiences will be treated to the most comprehensive coverage of the Olympics in history as SPORTS5, the sports arm of TV5—thru its available platforms including free TV channels TV5, AksyonTV and AKTV and pay TV channel HYPER along with exclusive Cignal channels Hyper2 and HyperHD—promises to keep every minute of action covered as we await the fate of Filipinos in the world’s greatest sporting event.
President Benigno S. Aquino III earlier challenged Mark Anthony Barriga (boxing-49kg), Marestella Torres (track-long jump), Rene Herrera (track-5000M), Jasmine Alkhaldi (swimming-100m freestyle), Jessie Khing Lacuna (swimming-200m freestyle), Hidilyn Diaz (weightlifting-58kg), Brian Rosario (shooting-skeet), Tomohiko Hoshina (judo-+100kg), Daniel Caluag (BMX), Mark Javier (archery-individual) and Rachelle Anne Cabral-dela Cruz (archery-individual) to “surprise the world” and end the Philippines' 16-year medal drought in the quadrennial games.
Led by TV5 sports ambassador Derek Ramsay and sports reporter Lia Cruz, SPORTS5 will bring Filipinos closer to London as the Kapatid Network and all its affiliate channels deliver blow-by-blow updates and live coverage of many of the Olympics’ sporting events, especially those involving the Filipino contingents. The highly-anticipated Opening will air on TV5, Aksyon TV, Hyper 2 and HyperHD live on July 28 (Saturday) at 4:00 AM (Manila time) with replay on AKTV at 12:00 NN.
Watch the 11 Filipino athletes as they join other outstanding athletes in the quest for Olympic glory on the following broadcast schedules:
- Rachel Cabral and Mark Javier (Archery – Qualifying Rounds) - July 28, 3-3:30pm on AKTV
- Jessie Khing Lacuna (Swimming – Qualifying Heats) - July 29, 11:30pm to 2am on AKTV
- Brian Rosario (Shooting – Qualifying Rounds) - July 31, 9pm to 10pm on AKTV
- Hidilyn Diaz (Weightlifting) - July 31, 10:30pm to 12:30am on AKTV
- Mark Barriga (Boxing – First Round) - July 31, 11pm to 2:30am on AKTV
- Jasmine Alkhaldi (Swimming – Qualifying Heats) - August 1, 9pm to 11pm on AKTV and August 2, 3:30am to 5am on TV5
- Tomohiko Hoshina (Judo) - August 3, 5pm to 6:30pm on AKTV and Hyper
- Marestella Torres (Long Jump) - August 7, 5pm to 7:30pm on AKTV
- Rene Herrera (5,000m Race) - August 8, 2am to 4:30am on AKTV and Aksyon TV
- Daniel Caluag (Cycling) - August 8, 11pm to 1am on AKTV and August 9, 9:30am to 11am on Hyper